Tuesday 23 March 2010

Ticking Over


After teetering up the slab it's time to get my pump on on Flux Control (F6c) at Moy Rock
Photo: Duncan Swarbrick


Despite a fairly damp weekend and not venturing far from home I managed to keep the winter/spring rock momentum up.

Since moving to Aviemore in November '08 I've had sporadic attempts on The Big Lebowski, a super-classic boulder problem on the mighty Ruthven boulder. It's a pretty sustained outing and I've never had the juice in the tank to stick with it all the way. However, it seems that this winter of concentrating on the rock is starting to pay dividends as I eventually finished it off on Friday evening.

Saturday saw my first visit to the mystical birchwood of Brin Rock, but heavy showers and a sore shoulder conspired to ruin the morning. Only by slithering up a rather soggy Spank the Ramp was the trip salvaged. It seems like a pretty nice wee venue so expect to see a few more mentions on these hallowed pages.


And then it was Sunday. I joined Brian 'The Bri' Fishpool and Duncan Swarbrick on a rare trip away from Extreme Dream to the sport routes at Moy Rock. As I've only just discovered this place it was really good to get another session up there, to tick a couple more routes and to get a good pump on. I'm off to El Chorro in just less than a month and am keen to get lots done before and during the trip, in the hope that when the inevitable (?) Spring high pressure hits the Highlands I'll be fit and ready for trad warfare.

No comments: